April is sexual assault awareness month.
• Touching another person in a sexual manner or sexual part of their body without their permission is sexual assault or sexual battery. Making unwanted sexual comments about someone is sexual harassment.
• Don’t tolerate this behavior in a game store, comic book store, convention, or at your gaming table. Or anywhere. Don’t excuse it, don’t explain it, don’t downplay it.
• Don’t let strangers do it. Don’t let acquaintances do it. Don’t let your friends do it. Don’t do it.
• Speak up if you see it. It’ll be awkward for a minute, but you’re a gamer, you’re used to being awkward. You feeling awkward for a minute is better than someone else feeling assaulted.
• Yes, gamers are usually socially marginalized people. That doesn’t mean they should get away with groping, harassing, or sexually assaulting anyone.
(Article trigger warning for sexual assault and sexual battery.)
Edit: If you’re doubting what she’s saying, here is a link to a news article about her workplace sexual harassment lawsuit (because of the customer who repeatedly groped her and made rape comments). And here is a link to the actual court findings for that case (which ruled in her favor, and other employees corroborated her statements). So if you can accept the truth that that happened, perhaps you should also consider that she’s telling the truth about the other events.